The Living Classroom Curriculum:First Grade, PDF
(Click to Download >>)
- What’s My Habitat?: First graders participate in a garden-based scavenger hunt during which they discover mutualistic relationships between plants and various garden critters.
- Food Factories: Students are introduced to the concept of photosynthesis and the vital part that plants play in the food chain. During this lesson, students plant seedlings and snack on edible plant parts and come back several weeks later to measure the growth of their plants.
- Growing Vegetable Soup: After harvesting the vegetables and fruits they have been growing, students prepare a nutritious vegetable soup for all the class to share.
- The Best Nest: Students survey a variety of different nests and work in pairs to build bird nests from natural materials found around the school grounds.
- Animal Homes: Students examine the structure and function of various animal homes and conduct an outdoor search for animal homes around the garden and school grounds.
- Garden Tea: Students gather fresh herbs from the garden, capture the sun’s energy and make delicious tea. Students also learn more about tea traditions around the world.